Tuesday, August 9, 2011

6 Awesome Writers...

Being that I’m in Seattle for the summer, I was lucky enough to be able to attend a book event on July 31, at Third Place Books, and met 6 amazing authors.

Eileen Cook-THE EDUCATION OF HAILEY KENDRICK

Mandy Hubbard-RIPPLE

Lisa Schroeder-THE DAY BEFORE

Cat Patrick-FORGOTTEN

Suzanne Young-A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL

Kimberly Derting-THE BODY FINDER series

Suzanne and I had lunch, chatted about books, and whatnot for a few hours.  Not only is she sweet, so is her whole family who came along.  (I’m the god-mother to her niece and nephew-though, they were not there).
Soon, things were well on their way to being set up for the event and people began filling up the chairs.  After telling us about their books (apparently, they all seem to contain a LOT of kissing), including their inspiration for their stories.   Then, they were gracious enough to do a Q&A session.
Each and everyone one of them at one point made me laugh.  They also gave wonderful advice for aspiring writers.  I was impressed by how gracious each author was.  It’s not every day you get so many authors at an event and I’m definitely lucky to have been it town for it.
Autograph time:
When I bought A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL over a month ago, I read it in a little over four hours.  I cannot wait for the sequel! (A WANT SO WICKED-Summer 2012)
While at the event, I bought FORGOTTEN, which I read as soon as I go home and didn’t stop until I was finished.  That was 3 hours later and managed close it at midnight, which doesn’t bode well when the 1 year old twins wake up at the crack of dawn.  More than anything, I’m so sad that there is no planned sequel for it!  I didn’t want it to end at all.
Also at the author event, they had a raffle.  I won THE DAY BEFORE.  Although I have yet to start reading it, I’m excited to do so.  I took a sneak peek inside and read a page or two, in the middle and towards the end.  I read so fast, I need to save something for my long drive home from Seattle and the two week vacation going along with it.  I’m also saving THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab.  I read the first chapter and had to force myself to stop.  Without a doubt, I would have stayed up all night reading obsessively. 
I will be getting books by the other authors soon.  My problem is, there are so many wonderful YA books out there right now, it’s hard to stop myself from buying piles of them and spending lots of money!
Knowing how much we love books and they aren’t cheap, on my next post (Wednesday, August 17, 2011) I’ll be having a contest and the prize is a signed copy of Suzanne Young’s A NEED SO BEAUTIFUL and a pin!


4 comments:

  1. That's cool that you have twins! I'm a twin, and yes, my sister and I were perfectly evil. We figured out how to use each other as bases and be even taller to reach the locks on all the doors! We were sneaky....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually a nanny for twins and currently staying with the family while on vacation. My best friend is a twin, actually. Twins are sneaky, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you enter the contest?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How to enter will be posted up on Wednesday, August 17th, along with an interview with Suzanne! :-D

    ReplyDelete