Thursday, November 18, 2010

OMG, I bought some new books...

If you know me at all, then you already know how rare it is that I buy books. Not because I don’t love to read, because I do. But because they are hella expensive! It just so happens that my local Borders is closing; which means 40% off! How could I resist?!

When I do buy books, I have to be honest and say, it’s usually romance novels. This time however, I was determine to buy what I write, YA. There was one in particular that I HAD to buy. Praying that they still had it, I promptly hunted it down. After searching high and low, through mass piles of randomness, I found it!

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White was in my hands at last!

“Why this book?” you ask.

Twitter!
Yup, that’s right. I said, “Twitter.” About a year ago I began following fellow authors, agents, and so forth. Kiersten White happened to be one of them. And when I saw that she was a fellow San Diego resident, I HAD to show my support.


 
Without a doubt, Paranormalcy did not disappoint (look, even Luna loved it!). Within the first few pages I was completely sucked in and couldn’t escape…nor did I want to. Within 6 hours, and trying to read while I ate, I had read the entire book! Sadly, I did have to put it down while I cooked (burning down the apartment wasn’t something I had in mind).

Kiersten gave the heroine, Evie, a fresh and authentic voice full of wit, sarcasm, enthusiasm, and the occasional grumpiness so typical of teenagers. The reader is drawn in and brought along on a whirl wind adventure, giving new life to our ordinary world. More importantly, the reader sees through fresh eyes as Evie explores and learns about the ‘normal’ world.

In an industry that is overly saturated with vampire stories, Kirsten sheds not only a new light on them (no, this is not a vamp book), but on every other paranormal/magical creature out there; including some shinny new ones.

From start to finish, I had no idea where this book was going to end up. With twists and turns, highs and lows, it’s full of butt-kicking adventure, mystery, some great fashion, and first love the whole way through.

In my opinion the best part of the book is the kissing scene. I wish my first kiss had been half that wonderful! I seriously think I said, “Awww!” out loud and I was smiling so hard my cheeks hurt. Without a doubt, I was as giddy as Evie and swooning right along with her.  Just thinking and blogging about it now is giving me butterflies again!

Before I was even two thirds of the way done, I was ready to hunt Kiersten down, bang on her door, and demand she let me read book two immediately.

Right now I’m wishing each and every one of my fingers would turn into thumbs, because they’d all be up.

No comments:

Post a Comment